photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Thursday, May 29, 2014

Remembering a WQ: Maya Angelou

Yesterday, an amazing warrior queen passed away. At the age of 86, Maya Angelou slipped away from this world, leaving many of us missing such an amazing role model.

Instagram was blown up with quotes and images in recognition of her and it made my heart so happy. Truthfully, my influence by her had slipped in my mind and I could not distinguish where that influence came from. I read I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings at a very young age, yet I can still feel as I did when I read it.



Maya Angelou was recognized for her poetry and civil rights work. I revere her more for her ability to overcome the horrors of her childhood. She is a true warrior queen, and I am so thankful that we have public figures and people like her willing to speak out so others do not feel so alone.

I feel this post does not do remembering her justice, but I wanted to ask everyone to take a moment to remember what she stood for and to pass it on to someone who does not know. If you feel like it, you can make a donation in her name to any cause you think she may have supported. Also, there are several public charter schools in her name in D.C. (Maya Angelou Public Charter Schools) that could use a donation.

 photo name.jpg

Check out one of our featured Warrior Queens:

2 comments:

  1. She truly was an amazing person..even at her age I feel like she was so stunningly beautiful. I've always adored her inspiration to the women of the earth through her quotes and smile. Rest in Peace Maya <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! That is exactly how I feel!! She truly captured and showed us all love with just that smile!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...