photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Technology + Relationships

The issue of technology was brought up in the recent movie "He's Just Not That Into You" by Drew Barrymore's character who was conversing with guys through numerous forms of technology.

"Mary: I had this guy leave me a voicemail at work, so I called him at home, and then he emailed me to my BlackBerry, and so I texted to his cell, and now you just have to go around checking all these different portals just to get rejected by seven different technologies.
Mary: It's exhausting.

When I first saw the movie, I just laughed about it, thinking "wow someone needs to work on her communication skills!" But, I must admit I've fallen victim to the numerous forms of technology, just not in the same way. Supposedly, girls used to sit by the phone waiting for their boys to call and ask them out on that special date. Now we have cell phones. Not only is my phone always on me, but I am constantly on it. My friends like to call me a "text monster." They try to take my phone away from me and I usually end up upset. I have friends allll over the United States and California, what if they need me?!

Usually though, it's "what if he texts me?!"And if he's not texting me back, my anxiety kicks in! I have no idea why this is so because, really...who wants to talk to someone constantly throughout the day?! We're gonna run out of things to talk about and talking should be considered more special. But we started out texting constantly, and thus I'm used to it. I really should just keep my phone off all the time. I have friends who never answer their text messages. It drives me crazy!! But secretly underneath it all, I admire them for that. Why don't I have that self control? Why am I always attached to my cell phone?

Technology though, can seriously ruin a relationship, particularly texting. How are you supposed to know the person's tone through a text message? Sure, sometimes the emoticons can really help but a lot of the time, if someone says something stern to me, whether it's sarcasm or not, I always think they're yelling at me and then a fight blows up! Or if they're too busy to text or their phone died...and I'm thinking "I must have done something wrong because they aren't answering!" It happens to every girl, don't deny it. Then you sit there sending multiple texts that just annoy the guy...don't do it ladies!!

Of course, with me, this obsession probably started way before I had texting. Only back then I was connected to my computer (which I still am. They used to make fun of me in the dorms freshman year). I would get off of school and go home and go online. That's where I could talk to my friends while I was doing my homework. When I got in trouble, the internet would be taken away from me. They would have to DISCONNECT it so I wouldn't sneak onto MSN messenger to talk.

I think with me, the problem is...communication is my biggest thing. I want to know everything all the time and if I don't, it drives me crazy. I think it's just the journalist in me. I want to constantly be connected. I'm getting slightly better at it though. Sometimes, I'll just turn my phone off for the heck of it - of course, those are the times that people "need me" the most because as soon as I turn my phone back on I have a million voicemails and text messages. It's really a neverending circle.

And I say that I don't want to text message anymore. Let's call and talk on the phone or better yet, let's hang out in person. But the second I get bored...I start texting people. So I think my reliance on technology will be another thing I should work on...oh and, snail mail = my favorite form of communication HANDS DOWN. [[i'm really an old fashioned girl at heart]]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...