photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Getting Involved - Better You, Better Community, Better Living

So, lately, I've had a little bug up my butt about volunteering. I just didn't know how to go about finding volunteer events because every time I've volunteered it's been through a group that I was a part of, or someone close to me was a part of. (For example, the American Sand Association, Girl Scouts, Crime Survivors, Dune Right, etc.)

Then the other day one of my best friends directed me to VolunteerMatch, where I found a lot of convenient ways to volunteer. I am so excited for my volunteer things to come, and in typical me fashion (which, if you haveBoldn't noticed is a little crazy), I'll list them out and tell you why you should help out! Or rather why I'm helping out. haha =]

ASA - Sand Sports Super Show Sept 18, 19, 20
Throughout high school, I volunteered at the Sand Sports Super Show every year at the American Sand Association booth to SAVE OUR DUNES! At heart, I lean toward environmentalist on the spectrum of my views of the world's health. However, when it comes to Glamis, the environmentalists are much more bureaucratic than about saving the animals in the sand dunes. So I joined the ASA, to save my favorite recreation AND in some way save the animals. The ASA isn't just about saving a recreation, it's about teaching the people who do go to Glamis about cleaning up, etc (we tried to start an organization called Dune Right for this particular purpose.)

The Orange County Children's Book Fair Oct 3
I love to read. I love teaching kids to read. I also think that there is not enough of an emphasis on reading in children's lives. The television and internet has slowing begun to usurp some good ole reading time. I'm not gonna lie, even I have fallen victim to these technologies. As a child, though, you could not pull me away from my books. It was so bad that if I got in trouble, reading could be and was taken away from me. I want to inspire this type of passion in children - and what better way to do that than helping at the book fair?! Sometimes all it takes is one favorite book to spark this passion!

CHOC Walk
Oct 18
Every year, one of my besties, Michelle, does the CHOC Walk at Disneyland. Like any other "Race for the Cure" or fundraising Walk, you pay a registration fee and then set up a way to earn donations that will go to CHOC (Children's Hospital of Orange County). This year, since I will be in California and not Ohio, I've decided to join her. Assisting CHOC is very dear to my heart because CHOC took amazing care of Gregory whenever he was hospitalized. Check out the website, it really is an amazing cause.

In2Books,
anytime
This is another organization that works toward helping children get into reading. The cool thing about this one is that it's done on your own time in your home. The way this works is you sign up and are matched up with a 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade student. Throughout Sept - June, you read a total of 5 books and discuss the books via email with your student. I am really excited about this one!!

Ronald McDonald's House
, anytime
This has been my passion since 7th grade and it's SUPER easy! All you have to do is collect the Soda Tabs off any cans you have and turn them in to the Ronald McDonald House. They recycle these tabs and use the money to house the families of patients at CHOC and other hospital if they can't afford hotel rooms.

Make-A-Wish Foundation, anytime
Someday, I really want to make a wish come true. Gregory was granted a wish from this organization and to see the smile on his face that day, my heart melted. The Make-A-Wish foundation grants the wishes of children with a terminal disease. See what you can do to help! Companies can even do the wish together!


Of course there are so many other ways to volunteer! What are some of your favorites? =]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...