photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Thursday, March 28, 2013



I don’t think I can express how truly thankful I am that I can marry the person I love and receive full medical benefits and full legal rights. I could not imagine being denied my love by society or judged for loving the person that I love.

But that’s the case for a lot of people. It’s not fair.

Iman and I at LACMA Valentine's Day 2012



Why do I have the right to express how I feel and others do not? If Iman were to be on his death bed in the hospital, I would be able to see him, have my benefits pay for him, and more? Moreover, why should my uncles – who have been together for much longer than some heterosexual couples – be denied all of that?
It makes no sense. We should not have to ask permission from the government to be treated equally in our personal lives.

As you may have been following, the Supreme Court began hearings for Prop 8 and the Defense of Marriage Act this week. Demonstrators have been working overtime. Before the Supreme Court can even evaluate the DOMA case, they have to determine if they have the ability to (since Obama ruled it unconstitutional) and then determine if the defense is qualified to defend the case. That seems like a lot of legal stalling to me, but hopefully we will have a positive ruling by the summer.

Many of the arguments are religious, which I understand and, at the same time, cannot fathom. Homosexuals are not trying to threaten anyone else’s marriage, beliefs, legal rights, etc. They are merely trying to exercise the same rights heterosexuals exercise. If this is a religious debate, then don’t allow the marriage in your church. This is a country based on the separation of church and state – which means leaving religion out of the government. It means being the legislative leader who believes that homosexuality and abortion is morally wrong, but refusing to let that sway their secular views.

Fortunately, it seems that our present culture is becoming more open-minded, and in the past 10 years the polls have seen a switch from a majority vote against gay marriage to a majority vote for gay marriage.
In this past election, many states passed gay marriage, escalating the issue to the federal level. I am thrilled that I will be able to someday attend the weddings of many of my family members and friends that previously had no hope of marriage. I will be even more thrilled when they will be federally recognized. 

What are you thankful for this week? What are your thoughts on gay marriage?

Raewyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...