photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

How to Host a Kick-Ass Baby Girl Shower

I'm so excited to share my cousin's baby shower with you! the feedback I got on the trifle, was awesome, and I hope you guys love the rest of this baby shower! It was so much fun to plan! 


First things first, don't stress out about it. You don't have to do crazy DIY crafts OR spend a ton of money to have a kick-ass baby shower. We did neither. Most of our supplies are from the 99 cent store, the Dollar store or Target.

I made the obligatory awesome it's a girl sign.



I found the polka dot banner at Target and purchased a black poster board at the Dollar Tree  The black paper is totally cut uneven, but you can't tell, so don't stress about being a perfectionist!



This sign board is SO cool, and was super easy to make. My cousin's friend made it for her. She got the letters and the pregnant lady from Michael's scrapbook section. She modgepodged them onto a canvas. Everyone happened to sign on the outskirts and now she can put a picture of an ultrasound there! 


My  cousin thought it would be so much fun for us all to guess the baby's birth day so we picked up supplies (again, Dollar Tree, except the stamps are from Michael's) and set this up.


My cousin's friend also made this amazing diaper cake! I just can't wrap my head around them. She used bottles on the inside.


I knew I really wanted this coloring station. I printed out the alphabet (just by Googling a free printable) for everyone to color a page and sign it. I am going to take the pages to Staples or somewhere, and bind them together into a book for the baby. 


I think it will be the best book for the baby to read! Speaking of books, we also chose to ask everyone to bring a book instead of a card for the baby. We wanted to start building the baby's library early, and hopefully, everyone wrote in the book so she'll have a note from us all!


The table pieces were super cool to make. My aunt does a lot of canning, so we just used some of her jars and put ribbon arond them and rubber duckies in the water! 


The pink vase is from the 99 cent store and we have a really awesome flower store where my mom picked up the flowers.


We purchased a photobooth prop kit from Michael's. It was a hit, especially with the little kids! We taped the sticks onto the back because it was easier.


I am so obsessed with the prizes I made. We got these glasses at Michael's and I perused the 99 cent store for prizes. We found nail stickers, a ducky loofah and picture frames. We tied a ribbon around it and set it up to look like this. It was SO easy but looks so nice.


My aunt had these awesome pitchers for drinks. We wanted to do pink-ish drinks (obviously) so we did pink lemonade and cucumber watermelon water. The cups and napkins are from the 99 cent store and the straws are from Michael's.



My trifle!!! Let me tell you the story behind this trifle in particular. Some days, making a trifle is my original intention, but occasionally it is what has to happen. The week before my cousin's baby shower was the week that I had my breakdown. Baking generally helps me calm down, so I excitedly started to bake a zebra cake. Of course, I was worried about decorating it, but felt like I couldn't really fail. 

The cake directions were best suited for a circle cake, but I made it in my 9x13 pan, which would have been totally fine except I forgot to adjust the time and the bottom of the cake burned. Seriously, if your cake burns, you don't have to throw the whole thing out. You can cut off the burnt portion. Now, if you burn the cake and it falls out of the pan in pieces...Just turn it into a trifle. 

My aunt had some left over angel food cake, so we put the two together. 

I layered the angel food cake on the bottom and whipped cream on top. Then I layered crumbled zebra cake on top. I put my amazing filling on top. (If you didn't already see it, mix heavy whipping cream with pudding mix instead of milk for the most amazing filling). I mixed edible pink glitter into the filling because, why not!   Following that, I put  more angel food cake followed by pink frosting. I also put whipped cream on top and more edible glitter!

The trifle dish is actually a cake stand that can be converted. Best invention ever (my cake stand doesn't convert). I put a handmade tutu around the bottom. My dear friend Stacey at Bows and Bombshells made it for me! She made the skull applique herself. 


The coloring pages were a hit! We included the games that I highlighted in the baby boy baby shower I threw in January. 

Have you ever thrown a baby shower? If you're looking for unique ideas, feel free to pin away! 

The Bajan Texan



 photo name.jpg

Check out one of our featured Warrior Queens:

55 comments:

  1. Great job! and I love the idea behind the trifle - I may need to try that next time I accidentally burn cupcakes (which, let's be honest, happens more often than not).

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cute baby shower! I absolutely love the drink station!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so cute! I first saw diaper cakes on my own cousin's fb page and they look really cool. They'd be cooler if they included edible cakes though. ;) the prizes and trifle look amazing though! I don't think I've ever had trifle. Does tiramisu count as trifle?

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are all so cute. Love all the pink. Especially the hydration station.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love baby showers! This one looks like it was tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. All these idea are so cute! I also love diaper cakes! Cute way to get more diapers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my attention went to the trifle, I want the trifle, looks so good. I'm hungry now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. songbirdsandbuttonsJuly 29, 2014 at 3:39 PM

    This looks like so much fun! Love the coloring station!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is all super cute, I will have to keep some of these things in mind for friends having babies.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is such a cute shower! i love the idea of the alphabet coloring book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. looks like so much fun, and how cute is the decor?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tips! I need my bestfriend to have another baby so I can host one now hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Pinning this because I am hoping one or both of my sisters will have a baby soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE!! Come on, who doesn't LOVE to color at any age?! We used the exact drink pitchers at a recent bridal shower (they came from Sam's!) The duckies in the jar are probably my favorite! I've never thought to do that! Definitely taking notes for my cousins shower that's coming up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the idea of having guests bring books instead of a card! Very cute ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love this! That diaper cake is the best thing ever!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous baby shower! I am attending one soon and I think I may have gathered a few ideas for little gifts! <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you!! And, I totally recommend it - it's the best

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think it is somewhat similar to tiramisu!! Diaper cakes are so crazy!! I don't think I could make one

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you! I definitely think it was :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Yes! That was my goal! I think I'm getting the baby shower thing down, now that I've thrown 2!! Most of my friends are either getting married and the baby time is coming! It's so crazy the way you wake up one day and all of a sudden everyone is getting engaged and having babies

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ths shower looks awesome

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awe!! This looks like it was so much fun. <3

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very cute! Looks like so much fun. I'll take some of that cucumber watermelon water!

    ReplyDelete
  26. great job on hosting!!! i hosted one before and i totally stressed myself out over DIY projects. it didn't turn out as pinteresting as i would have liked, but my gf totally appreciated it anyways. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Looks like such a great shower!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I absolutely love the idea for the coloring pages! Such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you! It was a blast! The water was quite refreshing

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you so much!! Haha, yes, we are quite the tattoo-ed family. Her only regret is the two revolvers on her hips which have rapidly become shotguns!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. aww, that is so sweet! yeah, I know I am the queen of pinterest fails, so I just do my own variation

    ReplyDelete
  32. LOL Oh I know that would've happened to me too if I had any hip tattoos. Pregnancy wasn't kind to me lol!

    ReplyDelete
  33. never been to a baby shower, but I'm sure i'll be to many in the next few years and they actually look pretty fun here!

    ReplyDelete
  34. So cute! Looks like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Looks like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  36. hahhaha, it's funny, I always refused to get a tattoo there because I didn't want it to stretch out.She is super teeny for how far along she is though.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I always thought they were boring before, but throwing one / being an adult makes it so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Thank you Ashley! It was so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. I felt the same way until recently when babies started coming everywhere! lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...