photo WarriorQueenHeader_zpsa2d93a61.png

Friday, October 30, 2009

Your light was just too bright for this earth

I'm not sure if many of you know who Gregory Conklin is but he was the sunshine in my days. It seems when I think back to Sept 2001-February 2006 so much of my memories and days revolved around Gregory. Moving across the street from him made it so much easier to be with him and to see him. I was able to come over and play and I was able to be there to watch Brooklynne if there was a doctors appointment or work for Abra to do.

At the same time, I wish I could have seen him more. I only visited him in the hospital twice. It wasn't because I didn't want to see him there, but I was afraid that I would get him sick. I always have a stuffy nose and often have a sore throat and rather than say it's allergies and risk it, I always opted to stay home. I know he knew that was the reason.

But I remember whenever he would come home, I'd be there standing outside of the van waiting to get the first photograph of his smile and to feel his sunlight again. Gregory fought the tough battles and won more than we ever thought possible. I remember one day he was on his way home from the hospital and I was still at school. I was probably going to miss his arrival by 5 or 10 minutes. I rushed my mom home, and when we got to the neighborhood, I jumped out of the car and ran the rest of the way to make sure I saw him.

Because Gregory's smile could win wars in my eyes. He keeps me fighting day after day, never giving into the problems that plague me and the ones I love. My sunshine is what made me realize I need to chase after my dreams because you never know what could happen tomorrow.

I don't exactly get sad when I think of Gregory. I cry, but they're happy tears - he lived such a strong life and he has been my inspiration for so much, he's no longer in pain - and for that I am happy. We had a celebration the day of his funeral - we celebrated his life - because he truly was one amazing little man.

Abra posted on Gregory's fan page on FB a tribute video that her brother and sister-in-law wrote for him and it is absolutely beautiful. I wanted to share it. Gregory's Song

So much of being a warrior queen is about being strong, living for today, and following your dreams. That's why I wanted to share my sunshine with you. If you want to learn more about Gregory's story and fight, follow this link.

3 comments:

  1. That's what makes you a Warrior Queen sweetness. The tears heal and cleanse, they also show that you have real compassion, ust like your mommy; which is the strongest strength of all! Stronge enough to let your feelings show!
    Love you! Auntie L

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...